Horses' Collars is the fifth short subject starring American slapstick comedy team the Three Stooges. The trio made a total of 190 shorts for Columbia Pictures between 1934 and 1959.
The Stooges are detectives in the Old West. They have been sent out to recover an I.O.U. from Double Deal Decker (Fred Kohler), who plans to take possession of a ranch that is rightfully owned by Nell (Dorothy Kent). After an unsuccessful attempt at a saloon, the Stooges head to Decker's hideout.
- This is the first of several Stooge shorts set in the Old West. The trio would return to this setting in Goofs and Saddles, Yes, We Have No Bonanza, The Three Troubledoers, Out West, Punchy Cowpunchers, Merry Mavericks, The Tooth Will Out, Shot in the Frontier and Pals and Gals.
- Curly has a violent reaction to the sight of a mouse. The only cure is for someone to feed him cheese (leading to the now-famous catchphrase, "Moe! Larry! The Cheese!"). This is similar to the device used in Punch Drunks, Grips, Grunts and Groans and Tassels in the Air.
- The Stooges work for Hyden Zeke 9 (i.e. a pun on "Hide and Seek") Detective Agency.
- Double Deal's Five D Delight is a saloon that boasts Dice, Dames, Dancing, Drinking, and Dunking.
- This is the first short and the second time where the Stooges sing "You'll Never Know What Tears Are" in barbershop music style.